Hello friends! Are you back in school now? I am and it’s a love/hate relationship. I do miss my free time, but I do love the kids I teach and the ladies I work with. Still, if I could live on perpetual summer break, I think I would. 🙂 Anyway, with the start of school our schedules change and our time is not as free and easy. Entertaining gets really hard to pull off. At least until…the crappy dinner party. So, does a crappy dinner party sound like something you would want to go to? Maybe not, based on its name; however, read on and maybe I can convince you.
I first heard of a Crappy Dinner Party from my friend and neighbor. It sounded like an awesome idea to me. I quickly wanted to give it a try. Then, lucky me, she invited me over for a crappy dinner. ha ha! It sounds like an insult, but let me explain.
The Crappy Dinner Party is a way for us to entertain and nurture those important friendships without adding to our already stressful lives. I mean, do we really have time to do formal entertaining while working full-time, raising kids, and playing chauffeur for kids activities? I know I don’t ~ even though I really do love it. Well, enter the Crappy Dinner Party.
There are five rules to hosting this dinner.
- You may not clean your house in preparation of friends coming over. They are there to see you. If you’re the guest, you’re not allowed to judge the host’s house – in whatever state you find it in.
- You may not make a special trip to the grocery store for dinner. You need to use the things you typically have on hand. This is not the dinner to impress guests with your mad cooking skills.
- You must wear whatever you have on. No dressing up. For this party, you are allowed to be cozy and comfortable. Leave the heels at home.
- No hostess gifts allowed. However, you should always feel free to bring wine to share. At least if you’re coming to my house. 🙂
- Do not schedule weeks in advance. These are meant to be impromptu get togethers – as if your friends just stopped by and you invited them to stay for dinner.
Seems simple, right? If you’re anything like me, then the hardest part is actually following the rules. It’s difficult to keep the priority on what is most important. It’s the friendships and the time you spend together that really matter. Still, if you’re coming to my house, I’m probably going to have to give the house a quick once over. I do live in a house of men after all.
I really want to start hosting a crappy dinner on a regular basis. That’s my goal for this school year. In order to make this even easier, I have a couple more ideas of how to make this even easier to pull off. Ready?
- Embrace the one pot meal. I know, casseroles may be your favorite, but there are plenty of other options for one pot meals. They are easy to throw together too.
- Cheap wine. Everyone likes cheap one ~ especially after they’ve had a glass or two, right? No need to spend the big bucks on expensive wines. Again, it’s the company that’s important.
- Use paper plates. No one wants a big clean-up, right? Well, no one will be offended by the use of paper plates either. Save your good stuff for a “real” dinner party. Crappy Dinner Party is supposed to be EASY.
Want to know more about Crappy Dinner Parties? Here are a few resources.
Okay, so there you have it. My simple plan for getting together with friends more often. Anyone else want to give it a try? Have you ever heard of this? Have you ever been to one? I would love to hear what you think of this idea in the comments below. Oh! And please sign up for my email list here so that you never miss a post.
Until next time~