Hi there! I’m so glad you dropped by today. So, how’s your week going? I am knee-deep in back to school. 🙂 I must confess that it is Tuesday evening and I am just now starting this Wednesday Wondering post. It seems more and more I am having a hard time fitting it in. I’m not sure if it’s I’m doing less thinking or just having difficulty managing my time. Can you relate? Regardless, I have a few things on my mind this week so it’s time to start a new rambling. I hope you’ll leave me a comment below and share your thoughts.
Of course the first thing on my mind is all the victims of Hurricane Harvey. I have several family members affected by this storm. They are safe, but he amount of property damage is still unknown. Of course they are in my prayers; however, I want to do more. When tragedies such as this strike Americans always pull together to help those in need. I always find it wonderfully amazing. Why is it though that it takes tragedy for us al to work together? After all the recent headlines, it will be nice to see people of all races and creeds come together for a common good.
On that note, here are a few ways you can help victims.
- Text “red cross” to 90999 to make a $10 donation to the Red Cross.
- The Red Cross has also set up a “wish list” on Amazon. You can find many items in all price points to help in their efforts.
- Make a donation to one of the food banks. A $1 donation can provide three meals for Texans. Houston, Galveston, Corpus Christi
- Make a donation to the Texas Diaper Bank. Many times shelters are not able to provide diapers and other essentials. The Texas Diaper Bank is trying to step up and help in these efforts.
- The SPCA of Texas needs help as well. They are in need of foster families for displaced pets, supplies of every kind, and financial aid as well. In addition, they have set up an Amazon wish list as well.
- Save the Children has also started a Harvey Relief Fund. Their site states: Your support will help us protect vulnerable children and provide desperately needed relief to families. A gift of $100 can provide a secure crib for a little one living in a shelter, help supply a safe space in shelters for 20 displaced children or many other items that are needed to care for the littlest survivors.
- And finally, if you live locally, a blood donation would also be great. The South Texas Blood Bank is requesting donations.
Black Market Cosmetics
I came across a blog post recently that spoke of Black Market cosmetics. I had never heard of it. Have you? It seems that manufacturers are concerned and going to great lengths to protect their products, and ultimately us, the consumers. In fact, we need to be protected because many of the knock-off cosmetics contain harmful ingredients and are manufactured in less than sanitary factories. Think frat house bathroom conditions.
The black market cosmetics are sold openly and look exactly like the real thing. That makes it hard for us to tell the difference. For instance, I have searched online to find the best price on certain products. I have bought cosmetics that way a few times as well. Have you ever looked on Ebay or some lesser know sites? You also find them on table top displays. Perhaps you’ve seen some? If you could buy a knock-off purse a few years ago, that same location is likely selling cosmetics now. In the past, I didn’t worry about it, but now I am going to be more careful. So, do you have any experience with this?
How Early is TOO Early?
So, all over blogland I am seeing pictures and posts for fall home tours. Admittedly, I love them. AND, I realize that I, too, need to be a little ahead of the season if I want to write a post for anyone to use. On the other hand, I cannot stand to walk into a store and see Halloween decor out right after July 4th. I do not like finding Christmas before it’s even Halloween. This is especially true if you live in an area like me, where it still FEELS like summer. Who can possibly be thinking of the holidays in the summer? It’s hard to get on the pumpkin bandwagon when it’s ninety degrees outside. So, I wonder, how early is too early? What is your opinion?
I cannot wait to hear what you think of some of this stuff that’s on my mind lately. Comments are always appreciated below. You can also join my email list here so that you won’t have to even worry about missing one post.
Until next time~