It’s summer! Hooray! That means we have a little more down time. Our schedules ease up a bit and we allow ourselves time to do the things we enjoy. And, if you’re like me, you don’t have any set schedule. In other words, you are free as a bird. So, if you like lounging and reading all day, you do it! With this mind-set in mind, I have come up with my top 20 binge worthy shows and the books that have made my summer reading list. Maybe one or two of these will appeal to you too.
So, here’s my top 20 shows that I suggest to you are totally binge worthy. In some cases, you won’t be able to help yourself. So, in no particular order, here goes.
- The Crown – you’ll love if you enjoy historical stuff or anything royal
- Madame Secretary – I love a smart, powerful heroine with a good man 🙂
- Stranger Things – I was late to the party, but am totally on board. LOVE.
- American Crime Story – The People vs. OJ – interesting to take a look back after all this time
- Luther – speaking of crime… all about a British murder detective whose passions get in the way. SO good.
- Game of Thrones – if you don’t like racy – this isn’t for you….I’m hooked for sure.
- Homeland – haven’t seen the most recent, but the early seasons we marathon watched
- Billions – interesting…I wonder who inspired it?
- The Fall – if you love crime/detective stories, you’ll love it. Kinda weird seeing Jillian Flynn talk with an accent.
- Orphan Black – so weird, but you cannot stop watching. The last season seemed to jump the shark. I’m hoping the new season is better.
- House of Cards – you can’t help but wonder how true to life this is. I love to hate Underwood.
- Downton Abbey – is there anyone left who hasn’t watched this? So good. All the heart eyes for this one.
- Sherlock – <3 <3 <3 I adore this show, but have been waiting FOREVER for a new season. Is this out of production? I hope not & I know I’m not alone in that.
- Mr. Selfridge – another historical, British show based on real people. Adore this!
- Outlander – based on the bestselling books by Diana Gabaldon. If reading a 1500 page book is not up your alley – this show is a good substitute. You will love Claire & Jaime.
- The White Queen – another series based on books. The books, by Philippa Gregory, are wonderful. Remember The Other Boleyn? Same author. This is about the period before Henry XVIII. His grandparents?? Watch this one first before #17.
- The White Princess – clearly I love historical fiction. Also based on books – these are Henry XVIII’s parents. It’s an interesting story and from what I’ve read, her books are pretty accurate.
- The Killing – the murder of a young girl is so sad, but you get sucked in to find out who did it. I 100% could not stop this one.
- 24 – remember this one? It’s an older show, but so good. I remember staying up ’til 3am because we couldn’t stop.
- Broadchurch – this one is new to me and I am loving it. Dead body found on the beach so bring in the British detectives. I love the scenery and the story. I keep going back to find out who did it. Then season 2 and there’s a twist. This one’s really good.
Now, lest you think that all I do is watch TV all day, I am also sharing the books that have made it to my summer book list. I love to read. In the summer I really enjoy books that don’t require a lot of heavy lifting on my end. The lighter the better. However I am really not a fan of romance stories. I love to find the ones you hate to put down. The ones you love to lounge poolside and read ~ or on the beach if you’re lucky. So, here’s what I’ll be reading. (btw – click on the pic to head to Barnes & Noble to read more)
And, if you like reading on e-reader like I do, look at this great deal I found.
Shop Amazon Devices- Get up to $35 off Trade in your Kindle off a new one
- The Cafe by the Sea
- This one is on pre-order still, but is coming in early July. Behind Closed Doors is supposed to be an excellent psychological thriller. Can’t wait for this one!
- Every Wild Heart – this one sounds a little romantic-ish; it is inspired by radio host Delilah. Have you ever heard her show? I have. So, I have to read this. Plus the story sounds good.
- The Senator’s Wife – all about behind the scenes of political wife’s life. I’m intrigued.
- Every Little Thing – just because I do want to accomplish something productive. This is a non fiction about how to make a difference in life where you are. I could use a little motivation and inspiration. Maybe this will do it for me.
If there’s time, I have a few others I’m considering. What are you reading? Do you have any great books to suggest for me?
Well, there you have it. I’ll be doing some TV watching, reading, and crafting this summer. I also have a few decorating projects to tackle, some entertaining to do, and a supper club I’d like to start. What are you doing this summer? Make sure to share your favorite binges and books with me below in the comments.
Until next time~