Good morning friends! Happy hump day for those of you who are still doing the work thing. I am basking in the glow of having NO schedule. That’s right, I have no place I must be and nothing pressing to do. Well, except for laundry, cleaning, and hauling kids. I never said life was perfect. 🙂 Anyway, it’s time for the weekly link up with From This Side of the Pond for some random Hodgepodge questions and answers. Enjoy!
1. The first day of summer rolls in later this week. What are ten things you’d put on your list of quintessential summer activities? Will you try to manage all ten this summer?
Sleeping in, fireworks, a trip to the beach, days at the pool, lazy days reading, BBQs, one good vacation, ice cream cones or snow cones, road trips, sunburns. I will get most of these done this summer. I’ve got a good start already, with one sunburn under my belt. Par for the course around here.
2. Do you collect seashells when you’re at the beach? What do you do with them once you get them home? What’s your favorite place to comb for seashells? How many of these ‘best beaches for hunting seashells’ have you visited? Which one would you most like to visit?
Calvert Cliffs State Park (Maryland), Jeffrey’s Bay (South Africa), Sanibel Island (Florida), Shipwreck Beach (Lanai Hawaii), Ocracoke Island (North Carolina), Galveston Island (Texas) and The Bahamas
Yes! I also collect some sand from each beach we visit. I don’t have a FAVORITE place to hunt. They’re all my favorites. I’ve visited Ocracoke Island and Galveston. Here’s what I do with some of the shells.
3. At a snail’s pace, shell out money, come out of your shell, go back into your shell, drop a bombshell, happy as a clam, clam up...which ‘shell’ phrase could most recently be applied to some event or circumstance in your life? Explain.
Mr. LouiseMarie would definitely pick ‘shell out money’ or as he tells me, “we’re bleeding money.” Of course, that might be due to the extraordinarily wonderful gift he gave me for our anniversary. I, on the other hand, would choose ‘happy as a clam.’ Duh, it’s summer! Enough said.
4. What summer activity do you dislike? Why?
I do not like swimming in lakes. Maybe it’s just me. Maybe it’s the lakes near me. I feel like they’re not so clean and you can’t see what might be swimming up to surprise you. It kind of grosses me out to have fish brushing up against me or feeling slimy plants in the water. Guess I’m just weird that way.
I much prefer something along these lines.
Also, can Texas’ extreme heat count for a summer activity. That can make anything outdoors pretty miserable. Not yet, but give it a week or two.
5. What’s something you see as quickly becoming obsolete? Does that bother you?
Cashiers. Have you noticed that everywhere you go, you have the option to self check out? Don’t you think they’re just testing it out before doing away with cashiers? It does bother me. The cashiers are much faster than me. I don’t like when the machine acts like you’re stealing an item if you don’t put it in the bagging area fast enough. Then, you have to call the checkout supervisor to come clear it. The whole thing is annoying to me. Although I do like the option just in case you get stuck behind some crazy couponer with about a gajillion coupons. That process takes all day! Has anyone else ever had that distinct pleasure?
6. Insert your own random thought here.
I think I’ve put something in here about the Navy for the last few weeks. Can you tell it’s on my mind – a lot? Well, my 2nd son just passed his Alpha (?) test to qualify for nuclear engineering – or something like that. I get that it’s a high level. Yes, of course, I am proud of him. HOWEVER, this means he will be spending a great deal, dare I say, most, of his time on a submarine! As in months at a time. If you were the mom, would you embrace that idea? The thought alone makes me claustrophobic. Does anyone know anything about this? I would love some wisdom sharing if you have experience in this area.
Until next time~